Wednesday 29 June 2011

Scrub scrub scrub in the tub

(something I now appreciate - a washer and dryer)


As simple as it may sound, not having a washing machine or dryer has proven to be a bit of a challenge at times. Although having these wonderful machines doesn't seem like a necessity, having to wash all of your clothes by hand isn't pleasant. Don't get me wrong, it's no big deal washing T-shirts and undergarments, but when it comes to larger/thicker items like jeans, bedsheets, towels, etc it's not quite so easy. I can honestly say I have taken the ease of being able to simply separate your clothes, put in the detergent, and simply wait for the buzzer to let you your clothes are clean for granted. Once the task of washing everything is done, comes the drying. It's not so much the hanging them up or taking them down that is an issue (I actually like this part), but rather waiting for them to dry. Although the winter here is not severe like the winters we are used to in Canada, the weather isn't very warm (especially at night) so drying can take quite some time. Because of this, the thought "can I wear this [sweater? shirt? scarf?] tomorrow if I wash it today?" has to always cross your mind when thinking of doing the laundry and what your outfit for the following day or two will be. Luckily the winter here is relatively dry and I haven't had to worry about rain 'rewashing' my clothes too often, however the wind is something to take into consideration and using plenty of clothing pins has definitely been beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment